I primarily work with the Dutch research communities Earth Observation and… Meer over Haili Hu
Big (data) challenges
The challenges related to Big Data are similar for Astronomy & Earth Observation research. Both domains deal with ever-growing amounts of data and increasing complexity of data. Hence, mission and instrument teams are expected to deliver science/analysis-ready data products as it is not feasible anymore for the end-users to handle the pre-processing themselves.
Another effect of the increased data volumes and complexity is the migration of scientific workflows from desktops to Virtual Research Environments or HPC clusters. New AI algorithms and other optimizations are needed to plough through the huge datasets. And how is Big Data managed and shared in the context of the Open Science revolution?
In this seminar, we bring together two research communities with similar challenges, and learn how innovative Big Data projects in Astronomy and Earth Observation deal with:
data processing and analysis: how to get from raw data to science/analysis-ready data products and scientific workflows?
data storage and management: how to manage distributed and heterogenous datasets and storage systems following Open Science and FAIR principles?
emerging technologies: how to use AI, Quantum Computing, HPC, exascale computing to tackle Big Data challenges?
Innovative projects and inspiring speakers
Confirmed speakers and topics include:
- Anthony Brown (UL) – Gaia
- Steven Bloemen (RU) - BlackGEM
- John Swinbank (ASTRON)– Square Kilometer Array
- Gijs Nelemans (RU)– LISA
- Edwin Valentijn (RUG) – Euclid NL Data Center
- Natalie Danezi (SURF) – The National Research IT Infrastructure
- Ad Stoffelen (KNMI) - EUMETSAT Satellite Application Facilities
- Jochen Landgraf (SRON) - TROPOMI
- Pier Siebesma (TUD/KNMI) - Ruisdael Observatory
- Jaap Langemeijer (Deltares) – Global Water Watch
- Meiert Grootes (eScience center) – Remote Sensing Deployable Analysis Environment
- Haili Hu (SURF)
- Raymond Oonk (SURF)
- Jolien Diekema (NSO)
- Raymond Sluiter (NSO)