This is the third year and it will be hosted by Loria - Université de Lorraine in France. This year’s theme is: An Ethical Vision of Learning Analytics Individuals vs Community
The Learning & Student Analytics Conference (LSAC) 2019 aims at bringing together researchers from a number of disciplines (e.g. education, artificial intelligence, computer science, management, psychology, ergonomics, economics, IT security, data governance…), practitioners, students, policy makers and companies to share and discuss the latest research insights related to Learning Analytics. The conference further provides a platform for stakeholders to engage in critical conversations about current trends and policy requirements.
After two editions in the Netherlands, the 2019 edition of the conference moves to France and is organized at Loria, Université de Lorraine (www.loria.fr). This year the conference program will give particular attention to the crucial question of equity and ethics in higher education and will focus on individuals versus communities. Therefore, academics and practitioners alike, who are interested in such topics should consider submitting an abstract and attending this event.
The conference aims at stimulating discussion on these timely topics to discuss Learning Analytics applications aiming to visualise learning activities, access learning behaviour, predict student performance, individualize learning, evaluate social learning and improve learning materials and tools. The conference is structured around three tracks:
- Academic research (theory, data, methods, assessment)
- Policy debates
- Practitioner and industrial sessions
One of the conference topics is ethics. Indeed, because of the impact of its introduction into the educational environment, the sensitivity of the data on which it is based and the algorithms it uses, the LA do not escape from the ethical and moral issues.
Paul Ricoeur writes this : "It is by convention that I will reserve the term of "ethics" for the purpose of a life accomplished under the sign of the actions considered good, and that of "moral" for the obligatory side, marked by norms, obligations, prohibitions characterized by both a requirement of universality and an effect of constraint. "
Ethics by design is a general approach (found in the field of human organizations, such as digital design and specially in AI based approach) and which aims to answer globally issues related to both ethic and legal.
The following topics are also welcome:
- Personalised learning and individual learning support,
- Learning community support,
- Pro-active, goal oriented learning support,
- Connecting learning to society and the labour market,
- LA policies,
- Learning activities visualization,
- Data mining and LA,
- Effects of LA on learning behaviour,
- Effects of LA on assessment,
- Student performance prediction,
- Social learning evaluation, learners interaction,
- Learning materials and tools improvement,
- Ethics and privacy in LA,
- Affective and emotional states of learners,
- Student engagement,
- Student support and advisory,
- Individuals and communities,
- Dashboards for learners or instructors,
- Learning Analytics implementation
Submission deadline extended abstracts: July 6, 2019
Notification of acceptance: 31 August 2019
Registration starts: June, 2019
Conference: October 22-23, 2019
Hackathon: October 24-25, 2019
For all information: https://lsac2019.loria.fr/
We look forward to see many of you again at #LSAC2019!